Trellis has made it easy to seamlessly issue a refund to your payment purchasers. We’ll walk you through the steps that will allow you to start issuing refunds in only a few minutes.
How to request a Refund:
1. From your Dashboard, navigate to your Results > All Transactions
2. Select the fundraiser page where the transaction you want to refund is purchased from
3. Open the transaction by clicking below
4. Click Refund and select Yes when you're sure you want to refund this checkout
5. Select the type of refund you want to request. If you select Partial make sure you add the Dollar Amount that we'll refund from this transaction then hit Refund to send the request
6. You will get this notification so please allow our team 1-3 business days to process this refund
7. You will receive email confirmation below that your refund has been successfully processed
8. An email is also sent to the donor informing them of their refund which can be considered as an additional receipt from the first transaction.
Important Refund Info:
- Once issued, a refund cannot be canceled. Disputes and chargebacks aren’t possible on credit card charges that are fully refunded.
- Some refunds — those issued shortly after the original charge—appear in the form of a reversal instead of a refund. In the case of a reversal, the original charge drops off the customer’s statement, and a separate credit is not issued.
Refunds can be sent back only to the original payment method used in a charge. It’s not possible to send a refund to a different destination (e.g., another card or bank account).
Refunds to expired or canceled cards are handled by the customer’s card issuer and, in most cases, credited to the customer’s replacement card. If no replacement exists, the card issuer usually delivers the refund to the customer using an alternate method (e.g., check or bank account deposit).
Fee Breakdown with Refunds:
Trellis supports the ability to refund charges made to your account, either in whole or in part. If the original charge underwent currency conversion, the refunded amount is converted back using the same process. There are no fees to refund a charge, but the fees from the original charge are not returned.
Ex: Customer makes a purchase of $100 on Trellis.
4.9% + $0.4 is charged on this purchase.
The organization has set fees to be paid by the customer.
The total charge to the customer is $105.57 and $100 is sent to the organizer's account.
A refund is issued of $105.57 to the customer
4.9% + $0.4 is not refundable so $5.57 is displayed as negative on the organization’s account. Future transactions will be offset against this amount.
What happens with fees after a refund
Here is a link to Stripe's policy on refunds and fees
Did this answer your question? If not, please feel free to contact us using that teal chat bubble on the lower right corner of your Trellis account dashboard.